…welcome to the Resistance.
Photo: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

Ammon Bundy is best known as a leading light of the American militia movement (a motley coalition of various different flavors of firearms enthusiasts who hate the federal government). He’s famous for getting into armed standoffs with federal agents and violently occupying bird sanctuaries. His friends are the kind of folks who co-chair pro-Trump veterans groups; his father is the kind of man who says, “I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro” — and proceeds to explain why black people were “better off as slaves.”

So, this being 2018, Bundy naturally just disavowed the militia movement in solidarity with the migrant caravan, suggested that nationalism is actually the opposite of patriotism, and said that Trump’s America resembles nothing so much as 1930s Germany.

Last week, Bundy posted a video to Facebook in which he criticized
President Trump for demonizing the Central American migrants who were traveling in a caravan to seek asylum in the United States.

“To group them all up like, frankly, our president has done — you know, trying to speak respectfully — but he has basically called them all criminals and said they’re not coming in here,” Bundy observed. “What about individuals, those who have come for reasons of need for their families, you know, the fathers and mothers and children that come here and were willing to go through the process to apply for asylum so they can come into this country and benefit from not having to be oppressed continually?”

Bundy went on to observe that “faith is the opposite of fear” and that “we have been asked by God to help, to be welcoming, to assist strangers, to not vex them.” He also provided his viewers with a quick fact-check of the president’s claims that liberal billionaire George Soros had orchestrated the caravan, and that there were terrorists embedded among the migrants.

Bizarrely, the following that Bundy had amassed by threatening insurrectionary violence against Barack Obama’s government did not take kindly to his call for solidarity with the oppressed of Central America.

“It’s like being in a room full of people in here, trying to teach, and no one is listening,” Bundy told BuzzFeed News this week. “The vast majority seemed to hang on to what seemed like hate, and fear, and almost warmongering, and I don’t want to associate myself with warmongers.”

Thus, Bundy shut down his social-media accounts Tuesday, and announced that he was cutting ties with the “patriot groups” that had once rallied to the cause of helping his dad shirk over $1 million in grazing fees. Here are a few other words of wisdom Bundy dispensed during his interview with BuzzFeed’s Salvador Hernandez:

“I believe President Trump, the best way I could explain it, is that he’s a nationalist, and a nationalist in my view makes the decision that best benefits the nation, not the individual,” Bundy said. “That is not freedom, and that is not what America was built upon.”

… “The time we find ourselves in now that is closest found in history is Germany in the 1930s, and they had a leader that was loved, and it was the same kind of following,” he said. “I don’t want to say there is that extreme similarity, but it very well could go that way, and people just give up their thinking, their rights, and they give up their government because they were so willing to follow him.”

As Hernandez notes, Bundy’s heretical hostility to xenophobic hate isn’t as out of character as it might appear to a lay audience. While the Bundys are heroes to a movement associated with militant nativism, they’ve always belonged to a peculiar strand of the American militia movement — one whose hostility to the federal government is rooted less in white nationalism than a libertarian Mormonism that honors the Church of Latter-day Saints’ traditional support for refugees.

Nevertheless, “woke Bill Kristol” (and woker Axl Rose) notwithstanding, anti-Trump Ammon Bundy has to be the #Resistance’s weirdest recruit yet.

close

Trump expands aid threat as caravan of migrants heads to US

President says no more money will be given to Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador if the caravan is not stopped; William La Jeunesse reports on the march to America.

The U.S. military will “CLOSE OUR SOUTHERN BORDER” with Mexico if officials there don’t soon stop the northward push of a massive migrant caravan, President Trump warned Thursday, amid reports the procession had swelled in size to about 4,000 people.

Trump’s latest threat against the caravan — which originated in Honduras and is bound for the U.S. in a bid to escape pervasive poverty and violence – comes as Secretary of State Mike Pompeo heads to Central America to discuss the issue.

“I am watching the Democrat Party led (because they want Open Borders and existing weak laws) assault on our country by Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, whose leaders are doing little to stop this large flow of people, INCLUDING MANY CRIMINALS, from entering Mexico to U.S.,” Trump tweeted Thursday morning.

He added: “In addition to stopping all payments to these countries, which seem to have almost no control over their population, I must, in the strongest of terms, ask Mexico to stop this onslaught – and if unable to do so I will call up the U.S. Military and CLOSE OUR SOUTHERN BORDER!”

The caravan, which as of Thursday morning was estimated to contain about 4,000 people, is persistently inching toward the Mexico-Guatemala border, where Mexican officials have sent 500 additional federal police officers ahead of the procession’s arrival, NBC News reported, citing U.S. government documents.

Mexico has said anyone with travel documents and the correct visa will be allowed to pass, and some others in the group can apply for refugee status. But officials also cautioned those who try to cross in an “irregular manner” could be detained and deported, according to the Associated Press.

The AP added that none of the migrants its reporters spoke to were carrying passports, which all but assures a high-stakes showdown with Mexican border officials in the coming days.

One member of the caravan, Henry Tejeda, told the AP he left his wife and four children to join the group due to increasing violence in Honduras, where he said his mother was murdered four years ago and his brother was shot.

“I am carrying the documents to prove I’m not lying,” Tejeda said. “I want to seek political asylum [in the U.S.] and help my family.”

The well-traveled Pompeo – fresh off a high-profile Middle East jaunt during which he met with leaders from Saudi Arabia and Turkey regarding the disappearance of activist Jamal Khashoggi – is now scheduled to head to Panama City on Thursday and Mexico City on Friday.

He will meet with the presidents of both countries to “discuss our ongoing security cooperation efforts to disrupt the illicit movement of cash, weapons, drugs across our shared border as well as the issue of stemming illegal immigration and strengthening accountability for corruption and human rights abuses, and bringing members of transnational criminal organizations to justice,” a senior State Department official said.

The migrant caravan will be a “prominent” topic of discussion, too, the official said.

“Certainly it’s an issue that we have viewed as a shared challenge and we continue to work closely with countries in the region to address the underlying economic, security, and governance conditions that have driven illegal immigration to the United States,” the official added.

Since 2015, the U.S. government has sent more than $2.6 billion in foreign assistance to the Northern Triangle countries of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. Trump has repeatedly threatened to cut off that aid if the mass migration continues.

The caravan set off last Friday from San Pedro Sula, Honduras’ second-largest city and a place widely considered to be one of most dangerous in the world when judged by homicide rate. At its start, the group consisted of about 160 people, according to an AP estimate.

Man Holds GoPro Wrong Way Round For Entire Holiday gopro fail 1Newsflare

Figuring out new and innovative technology in this ever-changing world can be daunting. For those who grew up in an age before smartphones, the internet and social media, using such devices can be quite scary.

Which is why you have to at least applaud the effort people of a certain age make. It’s easy to laugh at the older generation who struggle with new age tech but remember, you’ll be old one day too.

So you have to feel a bit sorry for this poor man who hilariously recorded the wrong footage, using his son’s GoPro, during his entire holiday in the Netherlands.

Proof that you should never leave seniors alone with new tech:

You know how it is with the older generation and technology, you can teach them as much as you want about it but they’ll still find some way to completely fudge it up. I suppose it’s the penance you pay for all those years they spent cleaning the dribble off your mouth.

It’s now your civic duty to show your mum how to use a smartphone and to make sure your old man doesn’t accidentally click a spam advert. It’s a war of attrition if anything.

Maybe that’s why you should never leave seniors alone with confusing technology, a lesson Mark Newman will have learnt after he lent his old man his GoPro.

Man Holds GoPro Wrong Way Round For Entire Holiday GoPro fail 2Newsflare

As you can see from the near-seven-minute video, Mark’s Dad, Howard, had every intention of documenting he and his wife’s (Jean) trip to Amsterdam, the home of tandem bikes, total football, the Red Light District and legal narcotics (you know what I’m talking about). But instead of capturing all the beautiful sites and locations Amsterdam has to offer, Howard ended up filming things the wrong way around. D’oh!

Mark said:

I lent my Dad my GoPro for his holiday to Amsterdam with my mum, when he returned it with much anticipation of me editing his footage we realised that he had been filming with the camera the wrong way around.

He blames the buttons being in the wrong place.

Man Holds GoPro Wrong Way Round For Entire Holiday GoPro fail 3Newsflare

The video, which was filmed in April 2016, even shows his dad talking to the camera while he’s on a train.

Speaking to the MailOnline Mark admitted:

He’s not great with technology so I gave him a quick rundown of how the buttons work – not thinking it would be that difficult as there is only three – and set him on his way. Upon uploading the video to edit I put it all together to watch un-edited to see what footage he had captured.

Man Holds GoPro Wrong Way Round For Entire Holiday GoPro fail 4Newsflare

It was then that we realised that what he had captured he was just his face due to the fact he thought the lens was the other side.

Mark, being the cheeky son that he is, uploaded the footage on the internet for the whole world to see.

He added:

My mum was in tears laughing, especially as the bit of filming she did she actually got it around the right way.

I mean it’s typical dad behaviour, isn’t it? The only saving grace is that when Howard goes on holiday again he’ll know this time to film the right way round.

If you have a story to tell, contact UNILAD via [email protected]

President Trump, with a tweet Monday, made a growing immigration issue seem increasingly insidious.

Trump claimed that a caravan of migrants heading north from southern Mexico included “unknown Middle Easterners.” By Tuesday, Trump admitted he had no proof to back up that claim, but insisted it could be true.

Sadly, it looks like Mexico’s Police and Military are unable to stop the Caravan heading to the Southern Border of the United States. Criminals and unknown Middle Easterners are mixed in. I have alerted Border Patrol and Military that this is a National Emergy. Must change laws!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 22, 2018

“We know there are Middle Easterners in there,” Barletta told PennLive during an editorial board meeting. “We know that not all of them have come from Honduras or Guatemala or El Salvador. We know that. We know that for a fact. I’m on [the] Homeland Security [Committee]. I serve on the counterterrorism and intelligence subcommittee. I have a little more information than you do.”

So what information does Barletta, a Republican challenging U.S. Sen. Bob Casey’s bid for a third term, have to support his own claim?

Barletta’s campaign initially cited as an answer an Axios story posted Tuesday, which included tweets from Tyler Q. Houlton, press secretary for the Department of Homeland Security, asserting that “citizens of countries outside Central America, including countries in the Middle East, Africa, South Asia, and elsewhere are currently traveling through Mexico toward the U.S.”

Citizens of countries outside Central America, including countries in the Middle East, Africa, South Asia, and elsewhere are currently traveling through Mexico toward the U.S.

— Tyler Q. Houlton (@SpoxDHS) October 23, 2018

But Trump, who made the initial claim, admitted Tuesday afternoon during a discussion with reporters in the Oval Office that “there’s no proof of anything” regarding the origins of people in the migrant caravan. He continued, “But there very well could be.”

Trump, walking back his claim, noted that the U.S. Border Patrol previously reported intercepting people in the past from Middle Eastern countries attempting to enter the United States through the southern border.

Barletta’s campaign, when asked about Trump’s walk-back, noted that the four-term congressman from Hazleton had, later in in his PennLive interview, noted that the U.S. government knows little about the people in the caravan. And the campaign pointed to a 2015 DHS report about the origins of people trying to enter the country.

“I’m glad that we have a president who says, ‘You’re not just going to march into the United States without us knowing who you are,'” Barletta told PennLive. “That’s reasonable.”